A negative ion generator is a device that emits a stream of negative ions into the air. The result is a cleaner fresher air due to the electrostatic settling of dust and the supposedly invigorating effect of breathing negative ions which are apparently found in abundance in the vicinity of waterfalls and mountain tops. In addition an ioniser can reduce airborne odors due to trace quantities of ozone produced at the tip of the ionisation needles.
Function; Why it is Recommended
The principle of ion generation is simple. The electrical charge on an object is greatest at the sharpest point (that's why electrostatic generators favor big curvy domes for charge retention), so if a high negative voltage is applied to a sharp needle then the charge at the tip is so high that ions are literally thrown off and then repelled by the negative field on the needle. This results in a physical draught and a slight hissing noise. In a very dark room you will also see a faint purple corona glow on the needle tips.
Most technical wisdom suggests that while negative ions make you feel good, positive ions can cause headaches and nausea. This is why a negative ion generator can improve the perceived atmosphere in an office that has an unaturally high positive ion balance.
According to manufacturers, reasons to purchase a Negative Ion Generator include:
- Studies have repeatedly demonstrated that negative ions can improve psychological and physical well-being.
- Negative Ions can elevate mood, increase mental alertness and vitality, reduce anxiety and depression.
- Studies indicate that negative ions may increase the cellular intake of oxygen and overall cellular health. This in turn provides us with overall improved health and well-being.
- Negative Ions have been shown to significantly precipitate, and thus reduce, harmful airborne particles, from the air you breathe (down to 0.01 microns in size). Particles such as pollen, smoke, viruses, bacteria, soot and dust.
- Negative Ionizers rebuild the ion count indoors providing a more healthy outdoor-like environment where we spend most of our time.
- Negative Ionizers leave us less susceptible to colds and flus.
- Negative Ionizers may help relieve many weather-related problems such as headaches and other disorders.
- Negative Ionizers may substantially reduce the airborne bacteria count.
- Allergy and asthma sufferers are often helped by the removal of solid pollutants such as pollen, down, smoke, chemical fibers and dust since these are effectively removed with Negative Ionizers.
- Negative Ionizers may help people relax and provide a better night's sleep.
- Negative Ionizers may increase lung capacity by cleaning the cilia (microscopic hair in the windpipe), which filter air that enter the lungs.
- Negative Ionizers may help concentration, alertness and overall mental functions. This can lead to overall increase in work productivity.